A reckoning is inevitable. It will come one of two ways. Soon, as an act of collective awakening, or too late.
It will involve a fundamental shift in our relationships, with each other and with the planet.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Another Lib / Cons brain difference

Posted by Agence France Presse at AlterNet, a study that shows another difference between brain structure in liberals and conservatives: liberals have greater brain size in the areas that deal with complexity, ambiguity, and tolerance for uncertainty (and change perhaps?). And that conservatives have larger brain regions for fear in general. My response, posted there:

I've been arguing this difference for years. One great study showed that Liberals had much greater understanding and usage of irony than conservatives and that this difference coincides with an ability to empathize (stronger in liberals). This dual coherence suggests an ability to move between "levels of thinking" (think Einstein's warning), mental flexibility and an aptitude for complexity. There's also a coherent tendency toward a sense of humor or lack of it (positive for liberals, negative for conservatives). BUT NOW, seeing this post comes from Agence FRANCE Presse, I have to revise or reject all my previous assumptions. The Frenchies simply CAN'T be right. I have no empathy for them. I see no irony in my comments. They do nothing to relieve my deep seated fear of difference, contradiction, self-questioning, change, or complexity. Merde!

No comments:

Post a Comment